The Ryan White Treatment Modernization Act

The Ryan White HIV/AIDS Treatment Modernization Act is the Federal initiative that provides grants to states to respond effectively to the changing epidemic. The reauthorized legislation changed how Ryan White funds can be used, with an emphasis on providing life-saving and life-extending services for people living with HIV/AIDS.

The Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program was enacted in 1990 and was reauthorized in 1996, 2000, 2006 and 2009. The Ryan White HIV/AIDS Treatment Modernization Act expires on October 2013.

The distribution of funding is categorized as follows:
Part A: Provides emergency assistance to eligible metropolitan areas (EMAs) and Transitional Grant Areas (TGAs) that are most severely affected by HIV/AIDS. New York’s Title I EMA includes New York City, Nassau-Suffolk and Dutchess County.
Part B: Provides grants to all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, the US Virgin Islands and five U.S. Pacific Territories and Jurisdictions. Part B includes a base grant, the AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP) award, ADAP supplemental grants and grants to States with Emerging Communities-those reporting between 500-999 cumulative reported AIDS cases over the most recent five years. All funding is distributed via formula and other criteria. Part B funds may be used to fund 75% core medical services and the remaining 25% must fund support services that are needed for individuals to achieve their medical outcomes.
Part C: provides grants directly to service providers such as ambulatory medical clinics to support outpatient HIV early intervention services and ambulatory care. Part C also funds planning grants and capacity development grants which support organizations in more effectively delivering HIV/AIDS care and services.
Part D: provides family centered care involving outpatient or ambulatory care (directly or through contacts) for women, infants, children and youth with HIV/AIDS.
Part F – Special Projects of National Significance (SPNS): advances knowledge and skills in the delivery of health and support services to underserved populations diagnosed with HIV infection. SPNS grants fund innovative models of care and support the development of effective delivery systems for HIV care.
Part F – AIDS Education Training Centers (AETC): supports a network of regional and national centers that train health care providers to treat persons with HIV/AIDS. AETCs seek to improve health outcomes of people living with HIV/AIDS through training on clinical management of the disease.
Part F – Dental Programs: assists accredited dental schools and post-doctoral dental programs with uncompensated costs incurred in providing oral health treatment to patients with HIV infection. In addition, Part F provides support to increase access to oral-health care services for HIV-positive individuals while providing education and clinical training for dental providers.
Part F – Minority AIDS Initiative: provides funding for activities to evaluate and address the disproportionate impact of HIV/AIDS on women and racial/ethnic minorities.